Last updated on February 2nd, 2019 at 12:22 pm
Want to drive nails with a single pull of the trigger? Get a Framing Nailer. It is designed to make a carpenter’s job easy. If you have a framing nailer, you don’t need to count on hammers. You can opt for it for professional precision work as well.
When the job calls for nailing large pieces quickly and precisely, you require a Framing Nailer. Though professional carpenters already perceive all the highs and lows of framing nailers, for a novice who is interested in DIY projects, it can be a hectic thing.
Since, he doesn’t comprehend anything about it, except it is used to drive nails.
This perception can be hazardous and indeed sign the death warrants of life if you are planning to build some superstructure for a family or kids.
It doesn’t matter whether you are using Framing Nailer for DIY projects or commercial grade framing assignments. Must ponder these below things for saving yourself from extreme injuries.
Table of Contents
Framing Nailer Types – DIY Projects
If you have a right framing nailer for the job you can sink your 10th nail into the wood before the swing of a carpenter’s hammer.
Below are a few nailer types with their own specific features. They offer different kinds of operation. So, reflect on your requirement first before choosing them.
Electric Framing Nailers
Electric framing nailers are trendy and gradually dominating the arena. Experts use it for different kinds of employment. The best thing about this product is it requires low upkeep.
Other types of nailers usually compel you to spend money time and time again for the maintenance. But you won’t encounter this issue with electric models.
This is perhaps because they utilize electricity for power which protects its components and keeps them in a better state.
The only downside is they are a tad heavier and costlier. It can be an issue if you are planning to use them for longer periods.
Gas Framing Nailers
The most prominent feature of the Gas Framing Nailers is they are cordless and lightweight. For that reason, you can use them in suburb areas or a place where there is no electricity.
People who love working on DIY projects place their hands on this model, as they can even use them in the forest and build a model, small houses or shelter for their families for vacations or camping.
Believe it or not, but some recent gas models can shoot up to 4,000 nails on a full battery charge. This immense capacity is more than enough to completely 2-3 large scale DIY jobs.
Pneumatic Framing Nailer
If you require something simple to operate, get Pneumatic Framing Nailer. They are also cordless and present almost the same benefits as gas framing nailers.
You have complete freedom on the job site and don’t have to struggle with tangled wires and tight spaces. Most of these products also have a heavy duty belt hook which facilitates you in handling the job site abuse.
Other than that, when it comes to better balance and reducing arm fatigue, it is a better choice than gas and electric models.
So, you must consider all these small factors before buying a Framing Nailer.
If you have the right model for your need, all the DIY projects will become trouble-free. You can complete them promptly and with efficacy.
Framing Nailers – Safety
Yes, it is an efficient machine, but the safety features are a necessity.
Safety shouldn’t be a hindrance for you at all if you are working on DIY projects. Just remember, a perfect tool in wrong hands can always be dangerous.
Therefore, there are a few important things you must keep in mind.
- Always keep appropriate safety equipment with you. This is essential not only for commercial-based working but also for individual DIY projects.
- With a framing nailer, also buy gloves, safety glasses, and ear protection. Moreover, it is better to wear appropriate clothing too which can protect you against flying pieces of wood.
- Does it provide easy jam clearing opportunity? If it doesn’t, it is highly likely you will invest in a new product again. Since, as we have mentioned earlier, framing nailers require regular maintenance.
- You can face jamming issues in them, particularly if you aren’t using them on a usual basis. So, contact the customer support team and make sure it is easy to clear and make it swift again.
- Don’t press the trigger if the pressure tip isn’t pressed against the frame. Lots of accidents happen due to this small error. Many people have injured themselves and their loved ones because of it. Consider it as a gun which can harm you on a grand scale.
- Framing nailers come with different kinds of firing features. That’s why it is imperative to comprehend which type of framing nailer is in your hand. For example, there is dual-contact firing and sequential firing. In dual-contact firing, the nail will keep on firing as long as you hold down the trigger.
- On the other hand, in sequential firing, you have to press the trigger time and time again before each nail is fired. If you are a beginner and don’t know much about wood framing, you should choose sequential-firing nailer. It is a lot safer and it keeps you alert all the time as well.
- Don’t forget to read the operator’s manual and packed with lots of useful information which are specific to the model.
- It reveals small details like how many times a nailer can misfire, how to open its head and remove the jam nailers, and how to pull the nail tip back safely. It is important to know all these things as you can encounter them anytime while working on your project.
A framing nailer can perform for years without any failure especially if you know about its maintenance and features. In our opinion, if it is your first time with DIY projects, choose a gas cordless option. It is a lot safer and does the small, quick jobs efficiently.